Problems reading tif files

gujax rjngrj2010 at
Mon Sep 27 02:31:47 CEST 2010

I have read several related e-mails dating back as far as 2006. I am
quite confused whether PIL can open tif images. Some posts seem to say
there isn't yet any support for PIL while there are few posts where
PIL has been able to open tif images. So I guess, I have to ask this
probably trivial question again. I am just learning python and PIL. I
have tiff images which are 8 bit and 16 bit gray scale images. I
cannot open them. Here are the errors that I encounter.

(640, 480)
{'resolution': (1, 1), 'compression': 'raw'}

But when I run the it gives the following error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 1483, in
   _show(self, title=title, command=command)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 2123, in
   apply(_showxv, (image,), options)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 2127, in
   apply(, (image, title), options)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 41, in
   if, title=title, **options):
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 62, in
   base = Image.getmodebase(image.mode)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 245, in
   return ImageMode.getmode(mode).basemode
 File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL/", line 50, in
   return _modes[mode]
KeyError: 'F;32BF'

I have no idea why this happens.
I will appreciate a resolution. The file opens with ImageJ and
ImageMagick. It is a 8-bit RGB file. I have associated default viewer
to be ImageMagick. I am on Lucid Linux, and other programs such as F-
spot and Gimp cannot open those files either.
I don't yet know how to attach image files to the post so please bear
with me till I figure that out.