"Strong typing vs. strong testing"

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Sep 27 22:14:44 EDT 2010

On 9/27/2010 10:46 AM, namekuseijin wrote:
> On 27 set, 05:46, TheFlyingDutchman<zzbba... at aol.com>  wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 12:58 am, p... at informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
>> wrote:

    The trouble with that essay is that he's comparing with C++.
C++ stands alone as offering hiding without memory safety.
No language did that before C++, and no language has done it
since.

    The basic problem with C++ is that it take's C's rather lame
concept of "array=pointer" and wallpapers over it with
objects.  This never quite works.  Raw pointers keep seeping
out.  The mold always comes through the wallpaper.

    There have been better strongly typed languages.  Modula III
was quite good, but it was from DEC's R&D operation, which was
closed down when Compaq bought DEC.

				John Nagle