will Gnome 3.0 kill pygtk?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Thu Sep 30 08:54:39 EDT 2010

Tracubik <affdfsdfdsfsd at b.com> writes:

> Hi!
> It seem that the new version of gnome 3.0 will dismiss pygtk support.
>
> link:
>
> [1] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointNinetyone/   (search killing pygtk)
>
> [2] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/PythonIntrospectionPorting
>

> i'm studying pygtk right now, am i wasting my time considering that my
> preferred platform is linux/gnome?

The important bit is that it will not ditch Python-support.

I can't comment at the actual differences between pygtk and the upcoming
reflection-based approach, but I doubt learning pygtk now is a
waste. First of all, it will be quite a while until pygtk (and gnome
2.x) are really gone.

And even if, the concepts stay the same, so unless pygtk adds an extra
layer of abstraction (which AFAIK it doesn't), your knownledge is still
usable - if not translatable one-to-one.

Diez