install 3.1

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Thu Sep 30 13:30:00 EDT 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:39:08 -0700 Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com>
wrote:
> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> >>>>
> > Installed 3 times. Used uninstall in program files and control
> > panel. Followed directions on video for 3.1
>
> Read the fine docs:
> http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/3.0.html#print-is-a-function
> Python 3 has several backward-incompatible syntax changes. One of them
> is that the print statement was removed and replaced with a print()
> function.

Sort of serious proposal here: Would it make sense to display a big,
fat warning during the install process (and possibly on the first few
invocations of the interpreter) to the effect that "If you're starting
to learn Python, make sure you're using a Python 3 tutorial!".

This seems to throw a lot of people, and I don't see it going away too
soon. So maybe this might help?

/W

--
INVALID? DE!