PyPy and RPython

sarvi sarvilive at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 01:06:38 EDT 2010

On Sep 1, 6:49 pm, Benjamin Peterson <benja... at python.org> wrote:
> sarvi <sarvilive <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Secondly I have always fantasized of never having to write C code yet
> > get its compiled performance.
> > With RPython(a strict subset of Python), I can actually compile it to
> > C/Machine code
>
> RPython is not supposed to be a general purpose language. As a PyPy developer
> myself, I can testify that it is no fun.

Can be worse than than writing C/C++
Compared to Java, having the interpreter during development is huge

I actually think yall at PyPy are hugely underestimating RPython.
http://olliwang.com/2009/12/20/aes-implementation-in-rpython/
http://alexgaynor.net/2010/may/15/pypy-future-python/

Look at all the alternatives we have. Cython? Shedskin?
I'll take PyPy anyday instead of them

We make performance tradeoffs all the the time. Look at Mercurial.
90% python and 5% C
Wouldn't you rather this be 90% Python and 5% RPython ???

Add to the possibility of writing Python extension module in RPython.
You could be winning a whole group of developer mindshare.

> > Yet I see this forum relatively quite on PyPy or Rpython ?  Any
> > reasons???
>
> You should post to the PyPy list instead. (See pypy.org)
I tried. got bounced. Just subscribed.
Will try again.

Sarvi