Why does linecache avoid <stdin>? How can I get equivalent of inspect.getsource() for an interactive session?

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Thu Sep 9 18:19:51 EDT 2010

On Thursday 09 September 2010, it occurred to Mark Hirota to exclaim:
> Here's my goal:
>
> To enable a function for interactive session use that, when invoked,
> will "put" source code for a specified object into a plaintext file.
> Based on some initial research, this seems similar to ipython's %save
> magic command (?)
>
> Example:
>
> def put(filename, object):
>     f = open(filename, "w")
>     f.write(inspect.getsource(object))
>     f.close()
>
> Of course, in an interactive session, if you define a function:
>
> And then try to run inspect.getsource() on it, you'll get an exception:

What inspect.getsource is is simply this: It finds out which module the object
belongs to, checks the __file__ of that module, opens it (or the corresponsing
.py file), and finds the right bit. This won't work for extension modules as
they have no Python source, and it won't work for objects created on the
interactive console or using exec, or eval, as they have no source file.