develop for Windows on GNU/Linux, using Python

Kev Dwyer kevin.p.dwyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 14:36:04 EDT 2010

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:55:43 -0500, Default User wrote:

> Consider:
>
> Can someone do development of programs for use on Windows systems, but
> developed totally on a GNU/Linux system, using standard, contemporary 32
> and / or 64-bit PC hardware?
>
> This would be for someone who can not or will not use Windows, but wants
> to create software for those who do.
>
> This might not include the use of VM for developing on GNU/Linux, as
> that would seem to require a Windows installation disk, which the
> developer may not be able or willing to obtain and use.
>
> Is the correct answer:
> 1)  no.
> 2) yes.
> 3) yes, a "Hello World" program will run just fine on the Windows Python
> interpreter.
> 4) other.

Hello,

The answer is "it depends", or 4 on your list of responses.

You can write pure python on a Linux machine and it will run fine on
Windows as long as you've taken care to program in a portable fashion.

However, writing the code isn't everything.  To be confident that your
code is good you need to test it on a Windows box (we all test, right?).
If you want to distribute your application to non-developers you'll
need to wrap it in a Windows installer; if you have C-extensions in
your code you'll need to compile them over Windows.  If you want to
program against the Windows API you'll need access to a Windows box.

So, if you really want to develop code for Windows (or cross-platform
code) I think you need to bite the bullet and get access to a Windows
(virtual) machine.

Cheers,

Kev

PS - You might be able to get away with using an emulator like WINE,
but given the ubiquity of Windows in business/home computing I think
you're better of testing on the real thing.