string to path problem

ecu_jon hayesjdno3 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 00:18:58 EDT 2011

On Apr 4, 12:17 am, Chris Rebert <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM, ecu_jon <hayesjd... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > i am writing a basic backup program for my school. so they wanted the
> > possibility to be able to set source/destination from a config file.
> > my source/destination was fine before, i would build it up with
> > functions, like 1 that got the user-name, and put it all together with
> > os.path.join. but if they set a source in the config file to something
> > like c:\users\jon\backup  python tries to read from c:\\users\\jon\
> > \backup, and throws out a read permission (because it doesn't
> > exist ...).
>
> Please give the exact error message and full exception traceback that
> you're getting.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "I:\college\spring11\capstone-project\testing1.py", line 39, in
<module>
    shutil.copy2(source1, destination)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\shutil.py", line 127, in copy2
    copyfile(src, dst)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\shutil.py", line 81, in copyfile
    with open(src, 'rb') as fsrc:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:\\users\\jon\\backup'

i have permission to c:\users\jon\*
but c:\\* obviously does not exist.