Guido rethinking removal of cmp from sort method

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Mon Apr 4 21:16:07 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I prefer to consider Python 2.7 and Python 3.x as different dialects of
> the same language. There are a very few handful of incompatibilities,
> most of which can be automatically resolved by the 2to3 fixers.

Yes, I am actually finding this to be consistent with my experience of
trying to come up to speed with 3.2.  I have been relieved to find that
less has changed than the fear-mongering and bickering was leading me to
believe.

Another item that would be nice as an IDLE enhancement would be a menu
option that applies the fixers (either direction depending on version
2.7 <--> 3.2) right in the IDE. Entries that could not be fixed could be
flagged for manual update.

If there are good tools for app developers to use to make the transition
smoother then the development community won't get their ear chewed off
so ragged, I'm supposing.

kind regards,
m harris