Do UART require data structure/format for serial communication?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Apr 11 14:13:34 EDT 2011

On 4/11/2011 4:57 AM, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> VGNU Linux wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I have two chips one understands Python and the other embedded C.I
>> have connected both chips using UART serial communication channel,
>> however I have no idea how data communication must be achieved between
>> this 2 chips. As for example send using C chip string "Hello Python"
>> which python chip easily understands and replies back a string "Hi C".
>> I am pretty new to embedded systems can anybody help me understand
>> data communication using UART.
>> Thank in advance.

     What do you want to do?

     There are many serial protocols.  At the low end, you can
send text. At the high end, you can send TCP over PPP.
The Arduno crowd has some protocols of their own.  See
"http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Libraries".

     Any useful protocol must be able to deal with errors
on the link, either end restarting, and the other end failing
to respond.  All those things happen frequently with serial
ports.

     What do you want to do?

					John Nagle