Feature suggestion -- return if true

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Tue Apr 12 11:12:09 EDT 2011

Paul Rubin wrote:

> zildjohn01 <zildjohn01 at gmail.com> writes:
>>     _temp = expr
>>     if _temp: return _temp
>
> I'm trying to figure out a context where you'd even want that, and I'm
> thinking that maybe it's some version of a repeat-until loop?  Python
> doesn't have repeat-until and it's been proposed a few times.

I can imagine

    return? tree_node.left
    return? tree_node.right

although my real code would probably be more like

    if tree_node.left is not None:
        return "left", tree_node.left
    if tree_node.right is not None:
        return "right", tree_node.right

where adding the "left" and "right" markers makes the return? feature
impossible to use.

The proposed feature reminds me of the `zod` function (was that the actual
name?) that returned 0 rather than bringing on a ZeroDivideError.  It would
cement a strange corner-case into the language.

	Mel.