Free software versus software idea patents (was: Python benefits over Cobra)

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue Apr 12 12:04:43 EDT 2011

On 7 apr, 09:39, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:

> It's astonishing how anti-Mono FUD just won't die. (Something can be
> true, and still FUD. "Oh no, people might *choke* on a peanut, or have an
> allergic reaction, we must label every piece of food May Contain Nuts
> just in case, because you never know!!!")

> Look, patent threats are real, but we don't gain anything by exaggerating
> the threat, and we *especially* don't gain anything by treating one patent
> holder as the Devil Incarnate while ignoring threats from others.

Regardless of source, the obvious conclusion from the patent FUD is
this:

- Python might infinge on a patent, never use Python.

- Mono might infinge on a patent, never use Mono.

- Java might infinge on a patent, never use Java.

- .NET might infinge on a patent, never use .NET.

- The C compiler might infinge on a patent, never use C.

- Your code might infinge on a patent, never program anything.

- Software on your computer might infinge on a patent, never dear to
use it.

- Hardware on your computer might infinge on a patent, turn it off.

- Risk of litigation is a greater concern than anything a computer can
do for you.

- Get rid of your computer before you get sued.

- A slide ruler is a hell of an invention.