Egos, heartlessness, and limitations

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Thu Apr 14 01:36:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM, John Ladasky <ladasky at my-deja.com> wrote:
> I may regret wading into a flame-war, but...

As long as we leave it at that! :)

> I got started with Python in 2002.  I took one look at TKinter, said
> "yuck!", and went searching for something else.  Now, wxPython is a
> bit clunky for a Python programmer because of its strong ties to C++
> -- but that's what I chose, and it has served me well.  I would like
> to see wxPython become the default GUI for our very fine programming
> language.

That's fine and that's your choice. I however don't feel
that "we" (as a community) or they (the python developers)
should make any GUI toolkit the default for Python (let
alone any programming language).

IHMO GUI toolkits are not a feature of the language but
rather a tool (or library) which is compatible in some way
with your language.

Python is a fine language.

So what if some of the code written _in Python_
(libraires, tools, frameworks, whatever) are a bit
poorly written, documented, or are lacking in features ?

Is this Python's fault ? Should it be ? I don't think so.

This is probably the reason for different groups in the first
place (python-dev, python-core-mentoring, python-ideas, etc)
so that there is a clear separation of "what's what".

Can we stop arguing about this now ?

cheers
James

-- James Mills