Can Python control Thuderbird?

marceepoo marc at marchankin.com
Fri Apr 15 18:08:33 EDT 2011

I want to control Mozilla Thunderbird using Python.
Does anyone know if that is that possible?
I would like to use Python to save email attachments to a specific
directory, depending on the name of the sender, content in the email,
etc.--- and to rename the attachment file  -- and to save the email to
an html file -- and to insert into the email file links to the locally
saved copies of the attachments.  Is this possible?
     If the answer is yes, where could I find information about how to use Python to control Thuderbird (and/or examples of saving attachments to locval filenames,and/or saving emails to htmlfiles and/or connecting to the list of
contacts) ?
   While hunting around, I came across "Python 18.4. mailbox — Manipulate mailboxes in various formats — Python v2.7.1 documentation".  I'm so totally ignorant of MAPI that I don't know if that is what I'm looking for.  If it is, does anyone know where I could find some examples of python scripts using the "Python 18.4. mailbox module"?

Thanks,

                   Marceepoo

Thanks for your tme and the knowledge you share,

                                 Marc