Python IDE/text-editor

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 05:08:21 EDT 2011

Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com> writes:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
> code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
> (for running from USB on Windows).
>
> Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for: http://i52.tinypic.com/2uojswz.png
>
> Which would you recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
>
> Alec Taylor

As many others said I suggest emacs, it can do all those things and much
much more, you just need to spend some time.

But the thing is that if you (waste) spend time in learning any
python-only ide
1. you'll be sooner or later disappointed and not able to make it work
   as you want
2. when one day you'll change language you'll have to start again from
   scratch

So it really doesn't make sense in my opinion.  It's true that learning
emacs (or vim) takes some time but it's all time well invested, for you
future productivity and satisfaction.