Python IDE/text-editor

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 13:07:20 EDT 2011

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> It takes a day or two to learn emacs.
>
> It takes forever to set it up.
>
> [How many shots of cocaine are are needed to de-addict a cocaine
> addict? ]

Not to set it up, but surely to master it.
There are also many people that didn't really learn elisp but still use
emacs taking configuration code from emacswiki or equivalent sites.

> :-)
>
> You are being cute and tart.
>
> But the problem is real:
> 1. emacs can do everything
> 2. It does everything badly
> 3. All the competition does it worse
>
> Frankly Ive thought many times of switching to eclipse but the first
> few screens send a chill (or something such) down my spine and I limp
> back unhappily to emacs...

Why does it do it badly? You just have to configure it better if you
think it does something badly ;)

I also sometimes tried eclipse sometimes, but can't stand it for more
than 4 seconds, and I'm very happy to go back to emacs.

The only language where an IDE like eclipse imho is the only way is
java, but that is because the language sucks so much that without a
massive help is impossible to write something in a human time.