Python IDE/text-editor

Colin J. Williams cjw at ncf.ca
Sat Apr 16 20:01:33 EDT 2011

On 15-Apr-11 23:20 PM, Alec Taylor wrote:
 > Good Afternoon,
 >
 > I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
 > code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
 > (for running from USB on Windows).
 >
 > Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for: http://i52.tinypic.com
 >
 > Which would you recommend?
 >
 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
 >
 > Alec Taylor

Here is an extract from the PyScripter Help:

PyScripter - a Python IDE

PyScripter originally started as a lightweight IDE designed to to serve
the purpose of providing a strong scripting solution for Delphi
applications, complementing the excellent Python for Delphi (P4D)
components.  However, and with the encouragement of the P4D creator
Morgan Martinez and a few early users, it has now evolved into a
full-featured stand-alone Python IDE.  It is built in Delphi using P4D
and the SynEdit component but is extensible using Python scripts.
Currently, it is only available for Microsoft Windows operating systems
and  features a modern user-interface. Being built in a compiled
language is rather snappier than some of the other IDEs   and provides
an extensive blend of features that make it a productive Python
development environment.

Why yet another Python IDE?

There are many Python Integrated Development Environments around.  And
quite a few good ones, for example PythonWin, Boa (a Delphi clone built
for and with wxPython), SPE and Eric3, not to mention IDLE which is
included in the standard Python distribution.  So it is reasonable to
ask why bother to develop yet another Python IDE.  The short answer is
for the fun of it!  The long answer relates to the ambition to create a
Python IDE that is competitive with commercial Windows-based IDEs
available for other languages.

It has the functionality that you seek.

Colin W.