Python IDE/text-editor

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sat Apr 16 23:22:19 EDT 2011

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 17, 3:19 am, John Bokma <j... at castleamber.com> wrote:
>> rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > It takes a day or two to learn emacs.
>>
>> That's an extremely bold statement. I still haven't learned Emacs and
>> have read most of the Emacs manual, some parts twice.
>>
>> Unless you mean opening a file, saving a file, and some basic cursor
>> movements.
>
> Aren't there people (many in fact) who use notepad or equivalent to
> write programs?
> How many features do they use?
> How long would it take to make a map of those same features in emacs?

Yeah, if you bring it down to open a file, save a file, and move the
cursor around, sure you can do that in a day or two (two since you have
to get used to the "weird" key bindings).

> And add a handful more to make the switchover worthwhile?

That's somewhat I did: I used TextPad a lot, and at first I looked for
how to do what I could in TextPad in Emacs (hence reading the book). But
that took longer than a day.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/