Python IDE/text-editor

Alec Taylor alec.taylor6 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 06:03:58 EDT 2011

Thanks for all the replies (I love the python mailing-list!)

I've tried all the IDEs/text-editors mentioned.

PyScripter is great, however is unmaintained thus doesn't support
64-bit :[ (and is a little buggy)
Also, it requires network connectivity, which could prove troublesome
on my locked-down Uni network (requires localhost for python shell)

DreamPIE isn't what I'm looking for.

Editra has a python plugin? - Excellent! — Got the plugin working...
is there a shortcut (e.g.: F9) for running the opened python script?

UliPad is quite good, however badly coded (a new console window opens
then closes each time I run a script)... I might fix that bug if I
ever get the time.

MonoDevelop doesn't seem to support Python (I pressed: "New Solution")

GEdit probably won't work from a USB, and the embedded console isn't
user friendly (you'd need to type: "import x.py" or whatever)

Emacs and vim are good, however I often find myself on a workstation
without direct console access. GVim leaves a lot aesthetically
desired. Also there's a learning-curve to both of them, whereas nano,
and all the text-editors/IDEs above are user-friendly. None I've found
to have a big learning curve (more about finding the right preference
to change in settings than anything else!)

Kate I haven't tried yet... it's currently downloading.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 4/16/2011 3:03 AM, Alec Taylor wrote:
>>
>> IDLE loses syntax highlighting annoyingly often
>
> Could you exlain?
> When does it do that with a file labelled .py?
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

Just randomly, sometimes on first save to a .py, other-times on files
that I've opened with a .py extension.

It loses all syntax highlighting!