What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ?

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 19 17:20:46 EDT 2011

On 19-4-2011 19:06, cjblaine wrote:
> What breaks if I remove lib/python2.7/test/* ?  What purpose does it serve?
>
> It is 26MB for me.
>
> I am trying to trim my Python install for good reason.
>
> Thanks for any info!

Terry answered what it is for. Personally, I also once used some functions from
test.test_support in my own code. There's some handy stuff in there. Also, the venerable
Pystone lives in test.pystone.

However, I don't think the test/* stuff is actually considered to be part of the
standard library? I believe it becomes available on many Linux installations only after
installing the python-dev package (or similar). So my guess is that you are safe to
delete it if you really need the disk space.

-Irmen