[OT] Piling of prepositions (was: Namespaces in functions vs classes)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 19 19:39:26 EDT 2011

"Rhodri James" <rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Language abuse: it's not just Python. A donation of just $5 will keep
> a programmer in prepositions for a month. $50 will supply enough
> articles to keep a small company understandable for over a year. With
> your generous help, we can beat this scourge!

I lately lost a preposition
It hid, I thought, beneath my chair
And angrily I cried, “Perdition!
Up from out of in under there.”

Correctness is my vade mecum,
And straggling phrases I abhor,
And yet I wondered, “What should he come
Up from out of in under for?”

—Morris Bishop, in the _New Yorker_, 1947-09-27
<URL:http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/gowerse/complete/chap905.htm>

--
 \     “Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential |
  `\                         things in rationality.” —Bertrand Russell |