Problem receiving UDP broadcast packets.

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Apr 20 06:20:39 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 06:07 -0400, Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
> > I'm trying to implement a device discovery/configuration protocol that
> > uses UDP broadcast packets to discover specific types of devices on
> > the local Ethernet segment.  The management program broadcasts a
> > discovery command to a particular UDP port.  All devices who get that
> > packet are expected to answer regardless of thier current IP address.
> Have you looked at the source for Apple's Bonjour?

On LINUX this is called "avahi", which has Python bindings.  Avahi
auto-configuration / discovery works very well.

<http://avahi.org/>
<http://freshmeat.net/projects/avahi>
<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pybonjour/1.1.1>
<http://avahi.org/wiki/PythonBrowseExample>

See also:
<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pybonjour/1.1.1>
at least you may be able to lift code from them (License is non-viral
MIT)

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>