Python 3.2 on CentOS 5.6 & compatibility concerns

Rob McGillivray robm at motornostixusa.com
Thu Apr 21 08:02:49 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is 'safe' to install Python 3.2 on CentOS? By 'safe' I mean not breaking the existing base Python 2.4.x installation upon which various CentOS/RHEL services (like yum) depend. Will the 'make install' install 3.2 in parallel with the existing 2.x installation, or break it? I'm new to Python and OSS, but the little I've read indicates that this could be a major risk.

My goal is to setup a dev platform (currently CentOS/Wing IDE/Python 3.2) and learn Python 3.x (as apparently this is the future of the language), but at the same time I'm looking to use CentOS as the server platform for deployment, and so want to understand what's involved in managing Python installations/upgrades on this platform.

Thanks in advance,

Rob