When is PEP necessary?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 23 16:31:06 EDT 2011

Am 23.04.2011 14:16, schrieb Disc Magnet:
> Is PEP necessary to add a new package to the standard library?

A PEP is necessary if the proposed change is contentious. If there is
widespread agreement that the change is desirable, no PEP is needed.

> What if the community just wants to add a new module to an existing package?

It depends on many questions: how does the author of the module think
about that addition? If he vetoes it (for example), it doesn't matter
what the community wants. Also, who is going to maintain it? Are there
competing libraries that provide the same feature? etc.

> What if only a new function has to be added to a module in the standard library?

Likewise. Propose to contribute it, and see what happens.

> What if only a line or two are to be added to a function in the
> standard library?

See above. It depends on the two lines. For example, changing the
default source encoding to UTF-8 was a fairly small change, yet
given past discussions, I felt that writing PEP 3120 was necessary.

Regards,
Martin