learnpython.org - an online interactive Python tutorial

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Apr 23 22:23:35 EDT 2011

On 23Apr2011 19:37, harrismh777 <harrismh777 at charter.net> wrote:
[...]
| Yes, my "big num" research stuff was initially done in REXX, on
| VM/CMS. I later ported my libraries over to OS/2 and continued with
| that well into the '90s, when I discovered Unix and 'bc'.  Many
| folks are not aware that 'bc' also has arbitrary precision floating
| point math and a standard math library.

Floating point math? I thought, historically at least, that bc is built
on dc (arbitrary precision integer math, reverse polish syntax) and that
consequently bc uses fixed point math rather than floating point.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

From sci.physics:
tron at mailzone.com:
  The only problem is, how do you send a message from Earth to Mars
  instantly?  Does anyone have any ideas about where we can start?
John Baez <baez at math.mit.edu>:
  Just use a coordinate system in which the point at which the message is
  received has the same t coordinate as the point at which the message was sent.