How to concatenate unicode strings ???

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Tue Apr 26 14:03:29 EDT 2011

<clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:

> >> That error is from the 2nd call to unicode(), not from the
> >> concatenation itself. Use proper Unicode string literals:
> >>
> >> u'this an example language ' + u'español'
> >>
> >> You'll probably also need to add the appropriate source
> >> file encoding declaration; see
> >> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Chris
> >> --
> >> http://rebertia.com
The following is from Idle3 (IDLE for Python3:

>>> 'this an example language ' + 'español'
'this an example language español'

In Python3 all strings are unicode, so your problem just does
not exist.  Upgrading to Python 3 would eliminate the problem,
as the above extract demonstrates.

Perhaps it is time to upgrade to Python 3.2

In the above when I write Python 3, I mean "Python 3.1 or
higher".

With kind regards,

OldAl.

PS: I do not have Spanish on my computer, but I do have at least
one other languages that uses characters that are outside of
ascii limit of 128.
A.
--
Algis