Thank You Re: use of index (beginner's question)

Rusty Scalf iai-gis at sonic.net
Fri Apr 29 13:43:20 EDT 2011

An overdue Thank You to everyone who responded.  I got well more than I
bargained for, including needed reinforcement (beyond the beginner's
guides) of how Python actually works and some good programming habits. I
am grateful.

I liked Steven D'Aprano comment:

   Define "does not work".
   What do you expect to happen, and what happens instead?

A good dose of humility. Getting a result that surprises me isn't the
same as the language not working!

In the end I followed Thomas Lahn's suggestion and used the structure

  data = {
       'pig':   '62327',
       'horse': '49123',
       'moose': '79115'
   }
   print data.get('horse')

I am using the Python extension written for ArcGIS software.

The happy result is a set of 54 maps, each with three frames, which
display gridded tuna harvest data for 3 tuna species from 1950 through
2004 as well as total tonnages. And the beauty is, if I modify the basic
map template I need only execute the program again, go have coffee, and
come back to 54 new pdf files!  The boss can say 'change the title font'
and it's no big deal.

Thanks again,
          Rusty Scalf