python on iPad (PyPad)

Jon Dowdall jon_dot_dowdall_at at _gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:14:15 EDT 2011

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 00:36:58 -0700, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> On Apr 8, 10:13 pm, Jon Dowdall <jon_dot_dowdall_at at _gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry for the blatant advertising but hope some of you may be
>> interested to know that I've created an iPad application containing the
>> python interpreter and a simple execution environment. It's available
>> in iTunes athttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pypad/id428928902?mt=8#
>>
>> I wanted to have python available 'on the go' without carrying a
>> laptop. The current implementation is based on my need to test simple
>> python functions in an isolated environment. I hope to add more iOS
>> specific capabilities if there is enough interest.
>
> I'm definitely interested in your adding more capabilities.
>
> Nice work so far.  I'm surprised at the number of things that you got
> work in the first version: long integers, simple classes, a number of
> modules successfully import (math and itertools for example).
>
> I don't now how difficult the work is, but it would be nice to have a
> way to save multiple scripts, have an interactive prompt, and get more
> modules to work (random, collections, functools).
>
> Thanks again for your work.
>

> Raymond
> twitter: @raymondh

Thanks for the great feedback.

An updated version, that has some minor GUI improvements and allows the
python code to be transferred via iTunes, is awaiting approval.

Hope to get to some of the other items you mention as time permits :-)

Cheers,

Jon