design question

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:16:18 EDT 2011

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

I left the Timeline as before, but tried to rewrite some more classes.
This is the abstract class for a metric, and below another class for the
metric which involve only counting things.
In the end an example on how to use this.

I need to see synthetic values during my quick testings but also to
reuse a lot of data to actually create graphs later...
Any idea/suggestion is welcome, I would like finally to get it right...

class AbsMetric(object):

    def __init__(self, mode='all'):
        # mode can be 'all, avg, senders, landmarks, receivers, mobiles'
        self.mode = mode
        self.result = {}

    def __str__(self):
        res = []
        for k, val in self.result.items():
            res.append("%d: %f" % (k, val))
        return '\n'.join(res)

    def __len__(self):
        return len(self.events)

    def filt_node(self, network):
        modes = {
            'all': network.nodes,
            'senders' : network.senders,
            'landmarks' : network.lands,
            'receivers' : network.receivers,
            'mobiles' : network.mobiles
        }

        return modes[self.mode]

class CountingMetric(AbsMetric):
    def __init__(self, mode, to_count):
        super(CountingMetric, self).__init__(mode)
        self.to_count = to_count

    def compute(self, timeline, network):
        for n in self.filt_node(network):
            # there is a lot of computation going on every time
            evts = Timeline.filt(timeline.events, evt=self.to_count, node=n)
            if len(evts) > 0:
                self.result[n] = len(evts)

addr_update = CountingMetric('all', 'ADDRESS_UPDATE_SENT')