Egos, heartlessness, and limitations

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Apr 14 02:59:14 EDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:08:17 -0700, John Ladasky wrote:

> I may regret wading into a flame-war, but...
>
> I got started with Python in 2002.  I took one look at TKinter, said
> "yuck!", and went searching for something else.  Now, wxPython is a bit
> clunky for a Python programmer because of its strong ties to C++ -- but
> that's what I chose, and it has served me well.  I would like to see
> wxPython become the default GUI for our very fine programming language.

So would many others, but unfortunately there are complications that more
or less rule out wxPython being supplied as part of the standard library.
For example, that would require the wxPython developers agreeing to
synchronizing wxPython updates with Python's schedule, and that's
unlikely to happen.

Fortunately, if you're using a recent Linux or a Mac with MacPorts,
installing wxPython should never be more than one command line (or half a
dozen clicks) away. Windows users aren't quite so lucky, but still, it's
not like installing it is a major hassle.

Also, in more recent versions of Python, Tkinter has had something of a
face lift with the introduction of "tiled TK" with native-looking widgets.

--
Steven