installing setuptools on Windows custom python install

Eric Frederich eric.frederich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:07:42 EDT 2011

I do not have a DLLs folder.
I created this installation of Python myself since I needed it built
with Visual Studio 2005.
I followed instructions under PC\readme.txt
This file mentioned nothing about a DLLs folder.

>From PC\readme.txt .........

    The best installation strategy is to put the Python executable (and
    DLL, for Win32 platforms) in some convenient directory such as
    C:/python, and copy all library files and subdirectories (using XCOPY)
    to C:/python/lib.

I see that there is a _socket project in the Visual Studio solution.
I built this manually and copied the _socket.pyx file do a manually
created DLLs folder.
This seems to have worked but it bothers me that there is no mention
of this stuff in the readme.txt file.

The readme file did mention that there is a config.c file that I am to
edit to enable other modules.
If I added a call to init_socket() in this file would the socket
library then be built into the main dll file?
I'm not sure exactly how to use this config.c file.

Thanks,
~Eric