Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Wed Apr 27 07:17:27 EDT 2011

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Jean-Michel Pichavant
> <jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
>
>> For a single user, there would be no merge issue. And svn is very simple to
>> use.
>> That would not be a such bad advice for a beginner with VCS systems.
>>

> As someone who for years had "nightly backups and renamed files" as
> his only VCS, I would advise beginners to pick up a VCS that they can
> learn, master, and then use widely, not one that will be restricted to
> solo work (forcing them to learn a different system when they join
> some other project). There's no particular benefit in learning older
> systems, is there? (I never learned CVS or SVN; my first is git, and
> it's the only one I've used to any great extent.)
>
> Oh, and rolling your own VCS can work in specific situations, but it's
> probably going to work out a lot more efficient to use a well-known
> one, even if it does have a learning curve. I have a few places where
> I should probably migrate things to git.
>
> Chris Angelico

You're mistaking, SVN is not restricted to solo work. However it's more
suitable for solo work than git.
Git is just the current buzz about VCS. I guess some people are
switching to it without really knowing what's going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

I tried to search for indicators about VCS usage without finding any but
I think that svn is still one the most used VCS. Anyway it's not about
which one is the most popular, but which one fits your need the best.
For the OP, that would be SVN IMO.

JM