Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Apr 27 08:14:32 EDT 2011

Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel at sequans.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Mercurial – are the ones to choose from. Anoyone recommending a VCS tool
> > that has poor merging support (such as Subversion or, heaven help us,
> > CVS) is doing the newcomer a disservice.
> >   True enough. But the modern crop of first-tier VCSen – Bazaar,
> > Git,
> For a single user, there would be no merge issue. And svn is very
> simple to use.

Bazaar and Mercurial are also simple to use, and you won't have to
un-learn them when you want a good VCS for collaboration.

> That would not be a such bad advice for a beginner with VCS systems.

I disagree; a beginner can just as easily learn a better VCS and avoid
the bad habits that come along with lesser tools.

--
 \       “Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of |
  `\                         the not worth knowing.” —Henry L. Mencken |