[OT] From svn to something else?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Apr 29 07:50:52 EDT 2011

On 04/29/2011 05:07 AM, Hans Georg Schaathun wrote:
> How easy and reliable is it to import my svn version history
> into one of the three big DVCS-s mentioned here?

I'd say that one of the things SVN has going for it is that it's
the lingua-franca of VCSes, so just about everything (especially
the 3 big names mentioned in this thread: hg, bzr, git) can talk
to svn pretty uneventfully.  As a matter of fact, last I checked,
Django is hosted in SVN, but most of the developers use DVCS
tools to check in/out from the main repository to their own local
hg/bzr/git repos, do their work locally (with the option to work
offline, branch/merge easily, etc), and then push changesets back
up when they have a patch they're happy with.

-tkc