Python competitions and learnings

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Apr 30 17:29:16 EDT 2011

On 4/30/2011 3:22 PM, Alexander Lyabah wrote:

> I spend a lot of time in writing a new service checkio.org
>
> It's all about python, learn python, find the best solution in
> python.
>
> And Im looking for feedback from peoples who best in python. Here I
> make some video tutorial about this service http://checkio.blip.tv/
>
> What do you think about it?

Pretty impressive. My main disappointment is that you are using 2.7
instead of 3.2, as I feel that beginners should learn Py 3 now. Also,
that is what I routinely use ;-).

In any case, the home page should say Python 2.7, not just Python, I had
to think to click Console Learn in order to find out what would be legal
when I tried out one of the tasks.

You might consider offering 3.2 as an alternative. Solutions will be
similar, but details differ. For instance, I noticed that one solution
to 'string split' *depends* on the 2.x leaking of listcomp loop variables.

> I'm also have a not a very good English, so I need help with it too,
> because some parts of checkio.org  not in very well English

Home page: "In the descriptions of this tasks there is always
information from manuals and tutorials," 'these tasks'

"game.Choice a game " => "game. Choose a game "
"users. Choice a game" => again, 'Choose'

"and fall into the top " I think you mean "and climb into the top "

"programs on arena. " => "program in the arena. "

"By the result of competition formed top of the game. "
This is unclear. perhaps "The best will be chosen by the result of the
competition."

I see a mailto: link at the bottom of the page, so I will report
anything else I see later.

--
Terry Jan Reedy