PyWhich

Billy Mays 81282ed9a88799d21e77957df2d84bd6514d9af6 at myhashismyemail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:43:49 EDT 2011

On 08/04/2011 10:03 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>  wrote:
>> Especially for a tool aimed at programmers (who else would be interested in
>> PyWhich?)
>
> The use that first springs to my mind is debugging import paths etc.
> If you have multiple pythons installed and aren't sure that they're
> finding the right modules, you could fire up PyWhich on an innocuous
> module like math or sys, and see if it's loading it from the right
> path. People doing this might not necessarily be programmers, they
> might be sysadmins; but you're right that it's most likely this will
> be used by competent Python programmers.
>
> ChrisA

I am trying to do debugging.  I have had some trouble with multiple
python installs with virtualenv, and I was trying to see where given
modules came from.  I knew about the code execution, but I couldn't
think of a clean way to just find out the location rather than load it.

The reason I used stdout was because I was going to be using it in a
tool chain where the stdout might need to be formatted for another
program to read in.  Thats also why I was catching ImportError since a
later version of this script might need to do something special with it.

This is also useful to see if python is really using the module you
think it is.

--
Bill