Table Driven GUI Definition?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 5 15:05:18 EDT 2011

On 05-08-11 19:53, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have a task where I want to create pretty simple one page visual
> interfaces (Graphical or Text, but it needs to run across Windows,
> Cygwin, Linux,*BSD, OSX ...).  These interfaces are nothing more
> than option checklists and text fields.  Conceptually something like:
>
>                  Please Select Your Installation Options:
>
>             Windows Compatibility Services  _
>             Linux Compatibility Services    _
>             TRS-DOS Compatibility Services  _
>
>             What Is Your email Address:     _______________________
>
> What I'm looking for is a way to describe such forms in a text
> file that can then be fed into a tool to generate the necessary
> pyGUI, Tkinter, (or whatever) code.   The idea is that it should
> be simple to generate a basic interface like this and have it
> only record the user's input.  Thereafter, the python code
> would act on the basis of those selection without any further
> connection to the GUI.
>
> An added bonus would be a similar kind of thing for generating
> web interfaces to do this.  This might actually be a better model
> because then I only have to worry about a single presentation
> environment.
>
> Ideas anyone?

Yeah, HTML being the text file and a web browser being the tool to
transform it into a GUI...

You can hook this up with a simple web server or web framework running
locally to grab the submitted form results when the form is complete and
process them in a piece of python code.

Wouldn't that work?

Irmen