Segmentation Fault on exit

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Mon Aug 8 02:56:30 EDT 2011

Vipul Raheja wrote:
> I have wrapped a library from C++ to Python using SWIG. But when I
> import it in Python, I am able to work fine with it, but it gives a
> segmentation fault while exiting.

1. Use a debugger
Run python with "gdb python", import the module and exit. The debugger
should then show you where the segmentation fault occurs, even though that
code isn't necessarily the code that is at fault itself.

2. Reduce the size of your module
Remove code from the module. The most drastic variant is to strip anything
and only leave an empty init function. If that still causes troubles, I'd
suspect something in the environment or in the way you build the module.

3. Make sure the environment works
Try compiling and running the SWIG examples or any other SWIG code. Does it
work? What are the differences to your code?

4. Post your code
If everything fails, you could try to reduce your module to the bare minimum
and post that here. Make sure you really remove anything that's not
necessary.

Uli

--
Domino Laser GmbH