allow line break at operators

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 20:47:49 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> I've seen bits of code in preprocessing-based "Python with {}" type
>> things, and they still look like Python to me, only they favor explicit
>> over implicit a little more strongly.
>
> "Looks like" Python does not equal "is Python". Cobra looks like Python, as
> do Boo, Groovy and Ruby, or OCaml with "twt" turned on ("the whitespace
> thing"). The similarities are especially strong for Boo and Cobra, but
> there is no doubt that they are different languages.
>
> In general, languages that aim to look like executable pseudo-code will
> converge on a similar look, because executable pseudo-code tends to be
> based on natural language (usually English) and mathematics syntax.

"Looks like" is a poor indication of anything much; "feels like" is a
bit vague, but may be more useful. If you can manipulate objects and
references to objects, if you can use Python's rich object set and
standard library, if you can use Python-like features using reasonably
readable syntax, then it feels like Python. Little things don't matter
(eg whether 'print' is a keyword or a function). Big things do (eg
having to explicitly deallocate objects).

Lots of languages "look like" C. Some of them function like C (eg
C++), and most definitely "feel like" C. Others don't.

ChrisA