allow line break at operators

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 04:24:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Michael Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> wrote:
> Somthing like an "option" keyword (which would only be a keyword until the
> first executable statement, e.g., would have to be before even imports)
> could enable things like "semicolon" or "explicit", or whatever really, and
> only affect those who opt in. If no code is ever seen using the option, it
> can even be removed. Wouldn't be a bad way to test changes that would impact
> the syntax of the language, actually...

Python already has a syntax like this:

from __future__ import statictyping

Although I'm not sure how you'd go about implementing it plausibly.
It'd be a fairly backward-incompatible change; what would happen to
the modules you import? Either you would have to have a duplicate set
(one that uses statictyping and one that doesn't), or you'd have to
have statictyping somehow work on a per-module basis. As far as I
know, most of the other future statements are per-module (with the
possible exception of barry_as_FLUFL, which until today I was not
aware of).

Would static typing then apply only to module-level variables and
function-local variables, with the values in
lists/tuples/dicts/objects/etc/etc/etc still being dynamically typed?

I think it'd be easier to fork Python and give it a new name.

ChrisA