ipython installed in virtualenv seems not to use virtualenv

becky_lewis bex.lewis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 06:28:35 EDT 2011

Just to add ...

I ran through creating a virtualenv in the same manner as you:

$ virtualenv SomeEnv
$ source SomeEnv/bin/activate
(SomeEnv)$ which pip
/home/user/virtual/SomeEnv/bin/pip
(SomeEnv)$ pip install ipython
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): ipython in /
usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
Cleaning up...
(SomeEnv)$ pip install ipython --upgrade
... pip installs ipython ...
(SomeEnv)$ which ipython
/home/user/virtual/SomeEnv/bin/ipython

(SomeEnv)$ ipython
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:45:15)

IPython 0.11 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import os

In [2]: os.__file__
Out[2]: '/home/user/virtual/SomeEnv/lib/python2.6/os.pyc'

In [3]: import dbus

In [4]: dbus.__file__
Out[4]: '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/__init__.pyc'

ipython is using the virtualenv when it can find them and the system
wide packages when they are not in the virtualenv. Hope that helps you
track down the problem :/