Java is killing me! (AKA: Java for Pythonheads?)

Alain Ketterlin alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Aug 12 13:45:47 EDT 2011

kj <no.email at please.post> writes:

[...]
>    def quant(xs, nlevels=MAXN, xlim=MAXX):
[...]
> My Java implementation of it already requires at least 8 method
> definitions, with signatures:

(BTW, your approach won't work if several optionals have the same type.)
[...]

- use Integer, Float, etc. everywhere. The compiler will box primitive
  types as needed at call sites
- re. default values (on positional params), use null to indicate a use
  of the default, or use ellipsis, or use class-provided static fields
  at call sites, or use a special class to represent all the optional
  parameters
- re. named parameters with default, use a map, or change the call sites
  to remove them

-- Alain.