How to print non-printable chars??

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Sat Aug 13 01:22:22 EDT 2011

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 00:59:42 -0400, Julio Cesar Rodriguez Cruz wrote:

> Hi all,
> If I open an .exe file in any text editor I get lot of odd chars,
> what I want is to know how to output those chars if I have the hexadecimal
> code. I found out how to do the reverse process with the quopri module,
>
> i.e.:
> '=F1=E8=18'
> '\xf1\xe8\x18'
>
> but how to do the reverse? ...gived '\xf1\xe8\x18', print 'ñè'

	print(quopri.decodestring('=F1=E8=18'))
or:
	sys.stdout.write(quopri.decodestring('=F1=E8=18'))

If you type an expression into the interactive Python interpreter, the
result is converted to a string using repr(); for strings, this converts
8-bit characters to their hexadecimal escape sequences, so that the result
only uses ASCII.

OTOH, the print statement converts values to strings using str(); for
strings, this is an identity operation (i.e. it returns the original
string untouched). Similarly, the .write() method of file objects uses str().