allow line break at operators

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 22:07:39 EDT 2011

On Aug 12, 7:39 pm, Seebs <usenet-nos... at seebs.net> wrote:

> I was overjoyed when I saw that Ruby would let me write 1_048_576.

I'll have to admit that Ruby has a few very interesting ideas, this
being one of them. We all know how impossible it can be to eyeball
parse a very long number like this. Having the interpretor ignore
underscores in a number was very wise indeed!

However i really hate the fact that Ruby FORCES you to use OOP. I LOVE
OOP, however there are times when you just don't need that level of
machinery to solve a problem. A good example is when scripting an API.
Most times all you need is a few module level procedures and some
simple logic. Try that with Ruby, then try that with Python, you'll be
switching to Python in no time!

PS: And before any Matz lovers start complaining: Yes, i know you can
do procedural programming with ruby HOWEVER it suffers many pitfall
due to (1) Ruby's scoping issues and (2) Ruby's explicit module
declaration (which is more indirect than the first).