Problem installing 3.2.1 on a Linux server

John S James john2james at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 20:56:36 EDT 2011

Thanks, your reply helped. The problem seems to be the autoconfig -- I was
using version 2.59 instead of 2.68. However, the host will not let users
install 2.68.

So I'm sending them feedback, suggesting a number of reasons for supporting
3.2 for their server accounts, including:

* Popularity of Python, TIOBE recognition;
* Wide consensus that new Python programmers should learn version 3, unless
they must maintain legacy software;
* 3.2 will be around for at least another year before 3.3 is released;
* Lack of 3.2 in low-cost hosts (3.1 is available) -- a competitive
advantage;
* 3.2 improves future library compatibility, vs. 3.1;
* Installing 3.2 should not affect any existing customers, unless they
choose to use it.

We should explore why hosting services are resistant to supporting the
current version of Python (plus an important older version, 2.7). Other
supported versions could be deprecated -- and eventually removed by the
ISPs, except for the few customers who choose to install it themselves.

John S James
www.replicounts.org