allow line break at operators

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Mon Aug 15 12:32:07 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-15, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> Demand, no, but sometimes it's a good idea.  I've been writing computer
> programs for close to 40 years, and I still have no clue what most of
> the order of operations is.  It's just not worth investing the brain
> cells to remember such trivia (especially since the details change from
> language to language).  Beyond remembering the (apparently) universal
> rule that {*, /} bind tighter than {+, -}, I pretty much just punt on
> everything else and put in extra parens everywhere.
>
> It's not the most efficient way to write code, and probably doesn't even
> result in the prettiest code.  But it sure does eliminate those
> face-palm moments at the end of a long debugging session when you
> realize that somebody got it wrong.

Wholehearted agreement.  It is conceivable for me to misremember precedence.
I am pretty reliable at recognizing which things are in which parens.

So I use them even in obvious cases:

	foo + (3 * 4)

Never regretted that.  Yes, it's extra typing, a little, but it prevents a
whole category of bugs.

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net