Windows service in production?

snorble snorble at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 00:32:02 EDT 2011

Anyone know of a Python application running as a Windows service in
production? I'm planning a network monitoring application that runs as
a service and reports back to the central server. Sort of a heartbeat
type agent to assist with "this server is down, go check on it" type
situations.

If using Visual Studio and C# is the more reliable way, then I'll go
that route. I love Python, but everything I read about Python services
seems to have workarounds ahoy for various situations (or maybe that's
just Windows services in general?). And there seem to be multiple
layers of workarounds, since it takes py2exe (or similar) and there
are numerous workarounds required there, depending on which libraries
and functionality are being used. Overall, reading about Windows
services in Python is not exactly a confidence inspiring experience.
If I knew of a reference example of something reliably running in
production, I'd feel better than copying and pasting some code from a
guy's blog.