testing if a list contains a sublist

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Aug 16 08:53:58 EDT 2011

In article <8739h18rzj.fsf at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>,
 Alain Ketterlin <alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

> Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:
>
> >> what is the best way to check if a given list (lets call it l1) is
> >> totally contained in a second list (l2)?
>
> [...]
> > import re
> >
> > def sublist(l1, l2):
> >     s1 = ''.join(map(str, l1))
> >     s2 = ''.join(map(str, l2))
> >     return re.search(s1, s2)
>
> This is complete nonsense (try it on [12] and [1,2]).

No, it's not complete nonsense, it works just fine for the limited data
set the OP presented :-)  Of course, you are correct that it only works
for single-digit integers, hence my "running and ducking" comment.

> The original problem is "string searching" (where strings here are
> sequences of numbers instead of characters). See
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_searching_algorithm
>
> for any algorithm (Rabin-Karp seems appropriate to me).

Yes, of course this is fundamentally a string searching problem.  The
problem is that while Python comes with an excellent tool for doing
these kinds of string searches, its domain is limited to, as you pointed
out, character strings.  However, for the limited data the OP presented,
there is a trivial way to map the original data domain (single digit
integers) into the domain the re library knows about (character
strings).  My answer may be a sucky general-purpose solution, but it's
also a neat hack, and sometimes a neat hack is what you need.

It also occurs to me that this hack could be expanded a bit to handle a
much larger input domain.  If you had sequences of arbitrary (but
hashable) objects, you could map this into a unicode string where each
"character" is the 32-bit hash of of the corresponding input object,
then run the regex search on that.

In theory, it should work.  In practice, I can see a few potential
problems:

1) You might have to carefully craft your hash function to avoid magic
unicode values like null or BOM.  No biggie there.

2) Hash collisions can lead to false positives, so you need to filter
those out with a subsequent linear comparison step.  Of course, this is
true of any kind of hash lookup.  No biggie there either.

3) While the re module is advertised to work on unicode data, I have no
idea how efficient it is on arbitrary values.  I wouldn't be too
surprised if it's tuned for "mostly ascii utf-8" and performance suffers
on completely random strings.  If its first step is to transcode to
utf-32 internally, I expect it would work just fine, but it would take
some experimentation (or reading of the source code) to validate this
assumption.