Why no warnings when re-assigning builtin names?

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Wed Aug 17 13:38:25 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-17, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Seebs <usenet-nospam at seebs.net> wrote:
>> If it's such a bad thing, *why is it allowed*? ?Why are you proud of the
>> ability to do something that you are never socially-allowed to do?

> Going back to my original three examples:

I may have been unclear about jumping topics; that comment was about
monkey-patching, not about shadowing.

> I greatly prefer this to the alternative, which is another 133
> reserved words (based on Python 3.2 for Windows).

You have a point there.

I guess I'm just used to the assumption that the confusion caused by
shadowing names outweighs the benefits of using them -- the world is rich
with plausible names.

-s
--
Copyright 2011, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net