List spam

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Thu Aug 18 09:39:05 EDT 2011

On Aug 18, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:

> I really like this list as part of my learning tools but the amount of spam that I've been getting from it is CRAZY. Doesn't anything get scanned before it sent to the list?

This has been discussed on the list a number of times before, so I'll refer you to the archives for details.

Basically, the mailing list receives postings from Google Groups and vice versa. Most of the spam comes from Google Groups. If you add a mail filter that deletes anything with the "Organization" header set to "http://groups.google.com", you won't see much spam anymore. In my experience, you'll also miss a number of legitimate postings.

HTH
Philip